Here is the format: I want to do monthly episodes where I and a panel will discuss different topics relevant to alternate historians. I also hope to move the interviews I do on the blog over to the podcast, but there will be no set schedule for those and will depend entirely when I can find someone interesting to talk to. In the meantime, here are some proposed panel discussion topics:
- The Alternate Historian Experience: The Good (and Bad) Things About Loving Our Genre
- American Revolutions: From Failures to Alternate Successes
- War of 1812: How To Make a Forgotten War More Interesting
- Overview of Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Atompunk and Other Historical Punks
- What Do You Think About This Year's Sidewise Award Nominees?
- Map Making for Dummies: Alternate Cartographers Share Their Secrets
- Alternate History Television: What We Like, What We Don't and What We Want to See
- Super Histories: Watchmen, DC's Elseworlds, Marvel's What If and Other Alternate Heroes
- Doctor Who's Impact on Alternate History: Where Does the Time Lord Fit Among Fans
- The Draka: Thoughts on Alternate History's Most Controversial Creation
- Writing 101: Authors Share Tips About How To Get Your Alternate History Story Published
- No Americans: Discussion About Alternate History Published Outsides of the States
- When The Lights Go Out: Revolution, Emberverse and Other Stories About the Fall of Technology
- Beyond Civilization: A Look At Gaming for Alternate Historians
- Economics and Alternate History: There is More to Our History Than Just Great Men and War
- World War I: A Look At The Best Works Set During the Great War
- Breaking A Superpower: A Look at Balkanized North Americas
- Alternate Governments: What if America was a Monarchy, Britain a Republic, etc.
- Online Originals: Our Favorite Timelines from AH.com, CF.net, the AltHistory Wiki and elsewhere
- The American Civil War and World War II: Why Are They So Popular Among Alternate Historians
- Cold War Hot: The War Between the Superpower That Never Happened
- Honorary Alternate History: 1984, Lovecraft and More, Plus Why We Like Them
Of course these are just ideas bouncing around in my head. As I outline future episodes some of these I might scrap and others may change drastically in scope once they are recorded, but that is not as important as what you think about this. I want to hear from you. Please, please, please send my feedback aboutVoices from Alternia. What do you want to see from an alternate history podcast? Who do you want to see be a guest or do you want to be a guest? What topics above do you like, dislike or do you have something else to suggest?
I want to hear from you! So please leave comments here or on social media. You can also email me at ahwupdate at gmail dot com. This podcast is for you and I want to know what you think. Thank you and I look forward to getting the first episode ready for your enjoyment.
* * *
Matt Mitrovich is the founder and editor of Alternate History Weekly Update and a blogger on Amazing Stories. Check out his short fiction. When not writing he works as an attorney, enjoys life with his beautiful wife Alana and prepares for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. You can follow him on Facebook or Twitter.